Worldwide Moving – Hungary

Foreign Citizens working in Hungary, employed by a Hungarian company:

All documents must be in Hungarian

Original Bank Guarantee (special document from the employing firms bank)
Visa for long period of stay in Hungary (from Hungarian Embassy)
Passport (copy)
Residence Permit (original) – To be issued in Hungary in advance
Copy of rental or buying contract
Work Permit (original) – To be issued in Hungary in advance
Inventory – itemized, valued, dated, signed and in Hungarian. List brand names and serial numbers of all electronic equipment
Photographs of any paintings or antiques
Power of Attorney (original with two witnesses signatures and in Hungarian)
Letter from Customer authorizing Destination Agent to clear shipment
Guarantee Letter from Customer’s employer stating they will pay duties if Customer sells the imported items or does not export these items
Letter from client’s employer in Hungary or client’s residence

Returning Hungarian Citizens:
Inventory in Hungarian (list brand names and serial numbers of electrical appliances)
Photographs of any paintings or antiques

Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free for:
Foreign citizens employed by Hungarian company, provided their Hungarian Residence Permit is valid
Diplomats, provided a Certificate is acquired by the related Embassy
Returning Hungarian citizens may import household goods and personal items duty-free depending on how long they have lived out of Hungary

Plants may be imported if accompanied with a health certificate
Goods imported into the country must be exported on departure; they may not be sold or given away

Customs clearance is a lengthy process and may take several days. Only temporary clearance is performed at time of arrival and final clearance can be done at residence a few months later. This will result in additional charges.
Medicines need a doctor’s written confirmation that it is necessary to the treatment of the customer

Wine and spirits
Clients have possibility to import:
1 litre of alcohol – like whisky, gin, vodka, etc.
1 litre of wine
5 litre of beer
Tea, coffee, cocoa and all kinds of spices except for paprika powder

Weapons and explosives
Drugs and narcotics
Pornographic or obscene material
Radio transmitters

Vehicles can be imported duty-free if equipped with a catalysator on a temporary basis as long as the Customer’s Hungarian Residence Permit is valid Vehicles four (4) years old or older can not be imported unless they pass an environmental examination (cost billed to Customer) U.S. made cars may need technical modification

After vehicle clears Customs the owner is issued a Hungarian Registration number and the car can be driven in all the states in Europe

Documents required:
Invoice or value-declaration signed by customer
Copy of Passport, Work Permit and Residence Permit
Original Registration Papers
Liability Insurance (not offered by insurance companies for U.S. made cars)
Hungarian Power of Attorney (original with two witnesses signatures)
Bank Guarantee
Copy of Drivers License

Valid Veterinary Certificate from origin country is required

Making a false or misleading statement to the Authorities is an offence and may involve heavy penalties. Drug trafficking is against the law and severe penalties apply.

Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Sea & Air International cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest Australian customs office for full and current information prior to importation.

Call Now Button