International Moving from NYC to England

Moving from one home to a new one can be quite an undertaking. Moving internationally even more so. That is why who you hire to help you relocate can be the defining difference between your experience being a stressful one or a delightful one. And with Sea & Air International, our professional and experienced movers have helped over 20,000 customers find their new beginning in more than 50 different countries. We are a dedicated international moving company that cares for each home and personal item as if it were our very own. 

What You Can Expect From Us

International Moving from NYC to England

Our team of professional and friendly movers will be at your service from packing the very first box to unpacking the very last one once you have arrived in your new location. Some of the services we provide include:

  • Pre-move planning
  • Moving supplies for your belongings
  • Packing your household goods and personal belongings
  • Fine arts packing and care 
  • Storage facilities at a secure storage area (30 days free for customers!)
  • Customs documentation
  • Customs clearance management

Our goal is to help ensure that you have everything you need for every step of your journey to your new home. All of our moving specialists are experienced and fully licensed and will treat you, your home, and your belongings with the utmost care. 

A Few Facts About England

The language there is almost the same as here. A few words may hold different meanings than you would expect here (soccer is referred to as football), but, overall, it is very much the same. Public healthcare is mostly free, but you will still have to pay for some specialist care and most prescriptions. Many full-time workers in the UK enjoy at least 28 days of paid vacation a year. Your American dollars will need to be converted to British pounds, and you will also need to file US taxes if you are an American citizen. 

Customs Information And Documentation

Below we have listed the required documentation you will need for your relocation, as well as items that you may want to leave behind due to restrictions. 

Required Documents For Goods And Personal Effects

  • Legible copy of passport
  • Detailed inventory in English; should be dated and signed by the owner of all goods listed
  • Transfer of residence (ToR)
  • C426 with a cover letter from the respective embassy (diplomat)

Required Documents For Motor Vehicles

  • ToR1 application
  • Declaration form C384 (if less than 6 months old)
  • Copy of registration documents proving ownership
  • Insurance policy documentation (copies from the country of origin)
  • Utility bills/bank statements that prove the place of residence was outside the European Union and exceeded 12 months

Required Documents For Pets

  • Vaccination record
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Form C5
  • Import license

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Firearms, explosives, and ammunition
  • Fruit, vegetable, and plant products
  • Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), tobacco (250g)
  • Spirits/liqueurs (more than 22% – 1 liter)
  • Fortified wine or alcohol less than 22% (2 liters), still wine (4 liters), beer (16 L)
  • Imitation firearms
  • Offensive weapons
  • Live animals
  • Endangered animals or plants and products thereof (required a valid CITES permit)
  • Fur skins and articles made from fur skin
  • Radio transmitters
  • Rough diamonds
  • Animal food products

Prohibited Items

  • Illicit drugs
  • Knives
  • Self-defense sprays
  • Stun guns
  • Indecent and obscene material
  • Counterfeit, pirated, and patent-infringing goods
  • Milk products from outside the European Union (England, Scotland)

Contact Us For Your Move To England

If you are preparing for an international move, we would like the opportunity to provide you with a free estimate and expert moving tips. We will be with you from the very beginning until the very end, a solid and reliable partner through it all. Contact us today, and let’s get you on your way.

More Customs Information

Controlled drugs such as opium, heroin, cocaine, morphine, cannabis, amphetamines, barbiturates, and LSD. Firearms (including gas pistols, electric shock batons, and similar weapons), ammunition, and explosives (including fireworks and toy caps). Indecent or obscene video tapes, films, books, magazines, laser discs, computer disks, and other articles. Horror comics, flick knives, counterfeit currency, and radio transmitters (walkie-talkies, Citizen Band Radios, Mobile phones, etc) are not approved for use in the U.K., meat and poultry; many other animal products. Plants, parts thereof, and plant products, including trees and shrubs, soil, potatoes, and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulbs, and seeds. For most animals and birds, whether alive or dead (e.g. stuffed), certain articles derived from protected species, including fur skins, ivory, reptile leather, and goods made from them.


Household and personal effects are allowed into the United Kingdom free of Customs duty and VAT if they have been in the owner’s use and possession in their normal home abroad for at least six months and providing they are solely for the owner’s use in the United Kingdom.
The owner must have taken up residence in the United Kingdom or be in the immediate process of doing so. The property must be imported within twelve months of the owner’s transfer of residence.
The Customs form C3 must be completed by the owner and submitted together with a packing list in English. In the case of recent purchases or new items, invoices may be required by Customs and Excise. All wines, spirits, tobacco, cigars, perfumes, toilet waters, and any goods which have been owned and used for less than six months must be declared and are subject to Customs duty and VAT.

Most private vehicles can be imported free of duty for a period of less than six months. For periods in excess of six months, importation is free if:
* The owner is moving their normal home to the U.K. and has lived for more than twelve months outside the E.C.
* The vehicle has been possessed and used in its normal home outside the E.C. for at least six months before it is shipped, and documentary evidence of this must be produced to Customs.
* The vehicle was not obtained under a duty/tax-free scheme (except for Diplomats and members of some government organizations).
* The owner must keep the vehicle for their own personal use and not sell, lend, hire out, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle in the U.K. within twelve months of the importation unless authority is obtained from Customs.
* * A separate customs form is required for a motor vehicle *

Inherited goods may be imported duty-free where the inheritor is a resident of the United Kingdom, and the goods were not used by the deceased for trade or business purposes. The necessary documents for clearance must be submitted to Customs and Excise well in advance of the arrival of the shipment, and goods should not be dispatched to the United Kingdom until Customs and Excise have given permission for duty-free entry. Ask for information prior to dispatching the shipment, and the appropriate forms will be sent to you.

Items over 100 years of age, for which evidence of the date of manufacture can be produced, are not liable to duty. The owner must declare the age and value of the goods in advance of importation to the satisfaction of Customs and Excise. Evidence from the supplier is usually sufficient. If this is not available, evidence from a recognized antique authority in the form of a Certificate of Antiquity should be supplied.

Making a false or misleading statement to the Authorities is an offense and may involve heavy penalties. Drug trafficking is against the law, and severe penalties apply.

Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Sea & Air International cannot, however, take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such, it is advisable to contact the nearest customs office for full and current information prior to importation.

Call Now Button